Public Hearing for the Westside Recycled Water Treatment Project
Water Treatment Plant Buildings
Proposed to be built on parkland in
Golden Gate Park
Thursday, September 23, 2010, 7:00 p.m.
Golden Gate Park Senior Center, 6101 Fulton Street at 37th Avenue
THIS IS THE ONLY OFFICIAL EIR SCOPING SESSION TO DETERMINE THE ALTERNATIVES FOR THIS PROJECT.
What is the Westside Recycled Water Treatment Plant?
- What: Water treatment factory buildings, storage, and visitor center
- Footprint: Approximately 40,000 square feet of buildings
- Size: Tallest building to be 30 feet in height
- Other built elements: New paving for entry road and parking; Night lighting; Gated area
- Purpose: Water from the aquifer under Golden Gate Park is now used for irrigation of the Park. This project is part of a plan to take that aquifer water and use it for drinking water. The water treatment factory will then process water from the Oceanside Wastewater Plant for irrigation in Golden Gate Park and other parklands, including the Presidio.
- Location: Western part of Golden Gate Park, southeast of the soccer fields and northeast of Murphy windmill
- Current area use: Construction yard
- Golden Gate Park Master Plan designated use for this area: Remove construction yard and return to parkland, using the area for recreation and open space. It further states that if any treatment plant is built, all buildings are to be placed underground with recreational uses on top.
How will this project impact our parkland?
Preliminary drawings show buildings above ground, at a height of 30 feet in some places. Many questions exist: Why has this location been selected? Why doesn’t the PUC use PUC land? Why aren’t the buildings being placed underground? Why are we giving up open space to paving, buildings, parking, and lighting? Why isn’t this area being returned to habitat for plants and wildlife? Why are we giving up valuable Recreation and Park land to what is essentially an industrial use?
The SF Public Utilities Commission is starting the Environmental Impact Report process for this project. Express your concerns about the loss of our precious parkland to more buildings and paving.
- Attend the meeting and ask questions.
- Write to the SFPUC and register your concerns:
1. Ask that the EIR include an in-depth exploration of alternative locations for the water treatment plant outside of Golden Gate Park.
2. Ask for an in-depth exploration of alternative designs for the factory building if the plant is located in Golden Gate Park -- including but not limited to a completely below-ground plan, as described in the Golden Gate Park Master Plan.
Your comments are due by October 13, 2010.
Written comments should be sent to:
Bill Wycko, San Francisco Planning Department, 1650 Mission Street, Suite 400, San Francisco, CA, 94103
(copy us at 1243 42nd Avenue, SF, CA 94122)
For more information: www.goldengateparkpreservation.org